Iowa State University Environmental Systems Mechanic II in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Environmental Systems Mechanic II
Required Minimum Qualifications:• Six years of experience in temperature and computerized building environmental automation systems, refrigeration or air conditioning work, including apprenticeship, or has two years of experience in computerized building environmental automation systems and meets the minimum eligibility requirements of ESM I; or four years experience in above plus Journeyman’s license; and
• Has refrigeration certificate of at least type 2.
• May need to possess a valid driver’s license and meet University’s Fleet Safety Program.
• Prefer 2 years of college/trade school.
Preferred Qualifications:Experience with HVAC control systems pneumatic
Experience with HVAC controls systems DDC
Troubleshooting HVAC equipment
Facilities Planning and Management at Iowa State University seeks applicants for a Environmental Systems Mechanic II who will apply knowledge and skills to install, maintain, calibrate, and repair complex electronic building systems for building automation, HVAC and other complex building control systems. Duties include locating problems by monitoring systems, interpreting computer readings and conducting performance tests; monitoring systems through manipulation of software; and service as technical consultant in the area of computer-controlled systems. The duties of this position require: ability to lift to 50 pounds; manual dexterity and eye/hand coordination in order to perform variety of repairs in confined spaces; and physical agility to climb ladders.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT: Facilities Planning & Management (FP&M) is an organization that is dedicated to the maintenance and enhancement of Iowa State University, one of the nation’s leading educational and agricultural institutes. But more importantly, FP&M is dedicated to their employees and enhancing the lives of each team member through opportunities both professionally and personally. FP&M is one of the largest departments on campus and currently employs over 450 full-time employees and students combined.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs all duties listed under Environmental Systems Mechanic II.• Installs and maintains environmental systems equipment and components such as air conditioning equipment, chillers, condensers, pumps, fume hoods, autoclaves, environmental chambers, scientific equipment, cascade cooling units, process water systems, compressors and other pneumatic and computerized controls. Installs and maintains cooling tower equipment, plate-frame heat exchangers, cooling water treatment equipment, heating systems (all fuel types) to include boilers, unit heaters, furnaces, radiant heating, heat pump systems (geothermal and air source), variable frequency drives, and other emerging technology equipment/systems.• Tests and evaluates performance of systems using specialized equipment, repairs or replaces defective valves, thermostats, sensor and other parts in both pneumatic and computerized building environmental automation systems.• Operates computerized building environmental automation systems that control heating and cooling systems.• Performs continuous commissioning and retro commissioning of various types of environmental equipment to assure these systems are meeting energy optimization efficiency goals, operating to desired baselines, and are meeting the expectations of the customer.• Utilizes energy monitoring devices and test equipment to establish predictive type maintenance repairs that extend the life of systems and eliminate out of service conditions.• Provides functional guidance and training to apprentices, replacements, students and other personnel as required.• Other duties as assigned by appropriate department or administrative personnel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of the principles of operations, methods, materials, and tools utilized in the installation, troubleshooting, maintenance, calibration and repair of environmental systems.• Ability to properly braze refrigeration tubing and connections.• Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions mandated by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, National Fire Prevention Association, National Fire Code, the Environmental Protection Agency, etc.• Knowledge, skill and ability to evaluate and recommend equipment for either installation, repair, or replacement and determine the amount of time and materials necessary to accomplish the task with least expense and downtime of equipment.• Knowledge of computerized building environmental automation systems and ability to collect data for mechanical system performance.• Skill in the proper use and care of hand and power tools and test equipment.• Knowledge of proper bending and lifting techniques.• Ability to work in areas of high heat, dust and noise and in confined spaces or on a ladder.• Ability to interpret blueprints, diagrams and equipment specifications.• Ability to work independently during the normal workday and in an on-call status.• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. • Ability to work in all types of environmental conditions or in areas where there is exposure to excessive noise, dirt, and fumes and at elevated heights from ladders, scaffolds, or hydraulic lifts.• Ability to work independently during normal work hours and after hours.• Knowledgeable of the operation and maintenance of variable frequency drives.• Knowledge of chilled water systems and maintenance requirements.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae2) Letter of Application/Cover LetterIf you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.Why Choose ISU?Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:• Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans• Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa)• Life insurance and long-term disability• Flexible Spending Accounts• Various voluntary benefits and discounts• Employee Assistance Program• Wellbeing program
Original Posting Date: May 1, 2023
Posting Close Date:June 7, 2023
Job Requisition Number:R11702
By focusing on the future and providing the best student experience possible, Iowa State attracts students and faculty who want to make a difference. With a comprehensive land-grant mission of education, research, extension and outreach, we produce scholars whose ideas change the world. And through Innovate at Iowa State , we provide innovative and entrepreneurial opportunities for students of all backgrounds. Located just 30 minutes north of Des Moines, the city of Ames was recently named one of the Top 10 cities in the U.S. for campus life and career opportunities.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University's Principles of Community. (https://www.diversity.iastate.edu/connect/principles)
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com .
If you have questions about the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485 . Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email email@example.com or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485 . TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942 .
General ISU compensation information can be found on the University Human Resources (https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation) website. Please note that this is only a list of ranges and individuals will be paid commensurate with qualifications.