Iowa State University Groundskeeper I in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Groundskeeper I
Required Minimum Qualifications:• One year of experience in operating the machinery and tools used in groundskeeping work or any combination of related experience and education from which comparable knowledge and ability can be acquired which totals one year.
Preferred Qualifications:Mowing experience
Installation of pavers or brick
Snow removal experience
The Facilities Planning and Management Department at Iowa State University is seeking applicants for a Groundskeeper I. This position works on a team to maintain the university grounds so they retain an attractive appearance throughout the changing seasons. Duties includes shrub-bed and turf maintenance, general landscaping, and snow removal. This position requires the safe operation and maintenance of various equipment, including loaders, tractors, rollers, sod cutters, mowers, string trimmers, and edgers. The successful candidate will work well in a team environment, communicate effectively, and make safety a priority.
Hours are 6:00 a.m. –2:30 p.m., Monday –Friday
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT: Facilities Planning & Management (FP&M) is an organization that is dedicated to the maintenance and enhancement of Iowa State University, one of the nation’s leading educational and agricultural institutes. But more importantly, FP&M is dedicated to their employees and enhancing the lives of each team member through opportunities both professionally and personally. FP&M is one of the largest departments on campus and currently employs over 450 full-time employees and students combined.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Operates tractors with attachments such as mowers, tillers, post hole diggers and snow plows to landscape and maintain grounds including lawn areas, sidewalks, parking lots and streets.
• Maintains attachments and makes minor emergency repairs.
• Operates and maintains power and hand mowing equipment.
• Assists in the cultivation and care of shrubs, trees and flowers as directed.
• Operates trucks and other transportation equipment as required.
• Responds to calls for emergency service, including snow removal, as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and specifications.
• Ability to safely operate and maintain equipment and hand/power tools.
• Ability to apply various groundskeeping techniques to different work situations.
• Ability to lift.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae2) Letter of Application/Cover LetterIf you have questions regarding this application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.Why Choose ISU?Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:• Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans• Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa)• Life insurance and long-term disability• Flexible Spending Accounts• Various voluntary benefits and discounts• Employee Assistance Program• Wellbeing program
Original Posting Date: September 20, 2022
Posting Close Date:October 4, 2022
Job Requisition Number:R9821