US Federal Jobs Revenue Officer Offer-In-Compromise Examining Specialist (12 Month Register) Cedar Rapids in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
WHAT IS THE B/SE SMALL BUSINESS SELF EMPLOYEDDIVISION?\ A description of the business units can be found at:https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions\ \ Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas:\ SMALL BUSINESS SELF EMPLOYED COLLECTION NON-CAMPUS COLLECTION OPERATIONS\ \ The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Investigates the more complex offer-in-compromise cases involving Doubt as to Collectibility, Doubt as to Liability in Trust Fund Recovery Penalty cases. Investigates and recommends the trust fund recovery penalty when applicable. Investigates offers that are filed under Effective Tax Administration that are complicated by factors such as allegations that taxpayers fraudulently transferred assets.
- Duties also include investigation of valuation of stock in closely held corporations, evaluation of transferee liability issues, and entities that consist of the following: trusts, municipalities, educational institutions, LLCs, partnerships and corporations.
- Provides other Revenue Officers with expert advice and assistance on cases involving potential Offer-in-Compromise candidates. It is the incumbent\'s responsibility to investigate and report on the adequacy of these offers and recommend acceptance, rejection, return or withdrawal.
- Verifies and analyzes complex financial statements submitted by taxpayers that include balance sheets, income statements and profit and loss statements. Utilizes available sources of information including public records, service files, credit bureau, and other internal and automated sources that may be available. Considers property issues such as transferees, nominees and alter ego.
- Makes Notice of Federal Tax Lien determinations on all cases and files the Notice of Federal Tax Lien when appropriate to protect the interest of the government. Taxpayers at this level normally include individuals with large gross incomes from diversified sources, self-employed professionals, large sized partnerships, corporations involved in retail, manufacturing, construction, wholesale, hospitals, labor unions, and other businesses or entities. Taxpayers at this level are often represented by highly sophisticated tax attorneys and CPAs.