Alliant Energy Gas Mechanic- Journeyman or Apprentice (Villisca, IA) in Creston, Iowa
4997BRJob Responsibilities:• Perform all duties so as to insure personal safety as well as the safety of other employees and the public.
• Fabricate, install, and maintain various gas system facilities such as distribution regulator stations, large volume
meter sets, odorizer equipment, gas meter assemblies, etc.
• Install, remove, replace and repair natural gas mains, services, pressure regulators, meters, valves, and other
related gas distribution facilities, including the installation of plastic mains and services using fusion and
• Required to qualify once a year on all forms of plastic fusion such as butt fusion, socket fusion and electro fusion.
• Tap and stop both plastic and steel mains and services.
• Obtain an 80% passing grade on operator qualification tests.
• May be required to assist tapping crews.
• Properly wrap metal mains and services.
• Cut, thread, and assemble screwed joint pipe and fittings.
• Install mechanical joints and repair sleeves, repair clamps, or pipe (on gas mains and services).
• Sets-up, operates and taps live main lines, and install branch and service connections using high pressure
• Operate power tools and excavating and ditching equipment as required.
• Install, maintain, and replace various types of metering and regulating equipment.
• Perform various leak detections and cathodic protection surveys using gas detection equipment.
• Install and maintain cathodic protection on gas mains and services.
• Communicate with the public and customer in a professional and courteous manner.
• Respond to blowing gas or severe carbon monoxide situations in a safe and timely manner.
• Respond to and perform leak calls such as inside and outside gas odors and carbon monoxide investigations.
• Install, test for, and maintain cathodic protection devices on gas mains and services, have knowledge of all
cathodic protection devices such as test stations, insulators, and anodes, have a general knowledge of krik cells
• Inspect contract gas construction as required according to all local, State and Federal codes.
• Patrol and inspect gas distribution lines and equipment.
• Locate underground facilities using pipe/cable-locating equipment.
• Incidental to the responsibilities listed, operate a Company owned vehicle/equipment, operate various air,
hydraulic, and electric power tools, and provide for the maintenance of all equipment assigned to him/her.
• Perform incidental duties such as changing of pressure charts, checking of odorizers, etc.
• Perform such clerical work as may be needed to provide and maintain the necessary reports and records
required by the Company.
• All other gas maintenance or construction duties as assigned which includes hands-on, paperwork, and limited
CAD, MDT, or computer work as necessary.
• If physically able (based on medical examination), use SCBA equipment and fire suits to possibly enter an
atmosphere of blowing gas in an emergency situation.
• Basic knowledge of appliance and relighting of appliances.
• Install cablevision, telephone, and electrical line during new and replacement projects.
• Work in confined spaces and may be exposed to blowing and burning gas.
• Perform other duties which are similar, related or incidental to this position.
• Must report to work fit for duty and free from the effects of drug & alcohol abuse.
• These job duties are not an inclusive list of duties. These duties are intended to be a general job description for
the major duties to be performed by this position.Requisition ID:4997BRPosition Type:Regular Recruiting Location(s):Creston, IA Schedule Type:Full-Time Posting Details:
Position Summary: May represent the company for service work in properties (small towns, communities, and rural areas) that are gas and/or electric. Shall perform similar and less skilled work as required.
Supervision Received: Work performed under the general supervision of the Overhead or Underground Manager.
This position requires a valid driver's license
This is a home-based position
Residency Requirements: 10 miles from HWY 34 and HWY 71 Junction
This position has emergency response requirements
This position may participate in a Boot Camp and on-the-job training will take place in Atlantic and Creston, Iowa.
Other training may include additional sites throughout the IPL Territory. Travel, overnight lodging and expenses will be handled in accordance with bargaining agreement. Training may be held throughout the IPL Territory.
Job Category:Gas Operations Job Qualifications:
Note: This position may be filled at a Journeyman or Apprentice level; many qualifications listed below apply only to Journeyman level candidates.
• This classification requires a CDL, and will be subject to drug and alcohol testing according to Federal and DOT regulations.
• Able to meet residency requirement within in 10 miles of HWY 34 and HWY 71 Junction.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Good verbal communication skills.
• Have the ability to safely operate heavy equipment, hand and power tools, and other machinery.
• Knowledge of confined spaces, trenching and shoring standards.
• Read and comprehend company operating standards, right to know information, safety rules, and equipment and technical manuals.
• Must possess good reading and math comprehension skill.
• Certified in CPR and first aid.
• Good mechanical ability.
• Work harmoniously with other employees.
• Know and practice good public relations.
• Wear and use all safety equipment.
Physical Requirements: Ability to perform the physical duties of the position such as: heavy lifting, climbing (stairs and ladders), kneeling, stooping, crawling, reaching, twisting, standing and sitting for periods of time.
Knowledge, Skills and abilities: Good verbal communication skills. Have the ability to safely operate heavy equipment, hand and power tools, and other machinery. Knowledge of confined spaces, trenching and shoring standards. Read and comprehend company operating standards, right to know information, safety rules, and equipment and technical manuals. Must possess good reading and math comprehension skill. Certified in CPR and first aid. Good mechanical ability. Work harmoniously with other employees. Know and practice good public relations. Wear and use all safety equipment.
Environment: Subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions. Work in confined spaces, heat, cold, fumes, dust, noise and blowing natural gas.
*Note: This job is covered by the Department of Transportation regulations on drug and alcohol testing (CFR 49, Parts 40 and 199), and is subject to drug testing according to said regulations.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran.
Posting Title:Gas Mechanic - Journeyman or Apprentice (Villisca, IA)Talent Gateway Posting Details:Alliant Energy is looking to hire a Home Based Gas Mechanic who performs operations duties in Villisca, Clarinda, Atlantic and surrounding service areas.
Responsible for the installation, maintenance, and operation of natural gas plastic and steel mains and servicing related equipment to provide natural gas service to customers. This career involves being a part of a team committed to protecting the communities where we live and work.