Voss Pattern Co Manual Machinist in Davenport, Iowa
A manual machinist is responsible for operating and maintaining a variety of industrial machines. These machines are used to produce parts, components, or other products that require precise dimensions and tolerances. Manual machinists must have an extensive knowledge of their equipmentthey need to know how to properly operate it, when to use certain settings, etc.as well as an understanding of the materials they're working with.
Manual Machinist Job Duties
A manual machinist typically has a wide range of responsibilities, which can include:
- Inspecting parts for defects or flaws, such as scratches or dents, and making any necessary repairs
- Operating machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, drill presses, grinders, and shapers to fabricate metal parts
- Reading blueprints or engineering drawings and making operating notes regarding machining requirements
- Using handtools to measure, mark, and cut materials to size using saws, files, chisels, and other tools
- Operating computer-controlled equipment to make precision parts for machinery, medical equipment, industrial equipment, aerospace components, electronics, and other applications
- Selecting the proper cutting tool for each application and setting up machinery for optimal performance
- Inspecting and measuring materials to ensure conformance with specifications
- Reading drawings to determine cutting parameters, tool requirements, and machining time estimates
- Operating manual lathes and milling machines to machine parts from raw materials
- Experience working with Redford, Shalco and Laempe Coreboxes
- Experience working with Cope and Drag patterns, matchplates and gating
- Experience with Haas or Fadal CNC Machines is also a plus.