Lumen Sr Engineer - Federal in Des Moines, Iowa
Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
The Sr Engineer will lead and participate in multiple team environments and to provide independent efforts to all aspects of system integration including design, needs analysis, design review, testing, implementation, and validation. As a highly technical and hands-on position, the Sr Engineer will be responsible for systems in support of Lumen’s Government and commercial managed security services platforms addressing .gov and critical infrastructure protection missions.
Work From Home Opportunity - 75% Travel Required
Must be a US Citizen with a valid driver's license
Active Secret Security Clearance highly preferred
The Main Responsibilities
• Reports to the Senior Manager Engineering in delivering service and reporting service metrics
• Perform Inside Plant Installation responsibilities such as but not limited to:
o Create a deployment plan
o Identify materials and tools required to support the task
o Run Inter and Intra bay fibering
o Cable labelling
• Engineering Design Packages and As-builts o Able to create, redline and interpret complex drawings
• Perform Implementation activities such as but not limited to: Ability to learn how to Commission and Provision Ciena DWDM systems. (Previous DWDM provisioning experience of other systems acceptable).
• Required to perform End to End testing from DS3 to OC768 using various test equipment.
• Able to test Dark Fiber using test sets to perform OTDR, PMD and CD testing.
• Troubleshoot escalated complex network problems to ensure minimal disruption of critical services.
• Perform government asset inventory audits and updates on government owned property.
What We Look For in a Candidate
• Professional interaction skills with customers and management and the ability to relate technical issues to management and Government personnel
• Must know how to use Visio proficiently and applications within the MS Office suite
• Ability to multi-task under limited supervision
• Familiar with Operations Maintenance & Provisioning of DWDM and Ethernet systems is highly desired
• Working knowledge of Lumen network systems and databases is highly desired but not required
• Experience coordinating network installation activity, test and acceptance using corporate best practices
• Working knowledge of fiber transmission standards, SDH, SONET, ATM, switch, routers, GPS, power, network management, O&M procedures, configuration management, and project management processes and procedures
• Possess understanding of Layer 1 and Layer 2 network topology to include fiber, power, ISP, OSP, equipment, signal flow, etc.
• Must be able to Travel more than 75% of the year nationwide
Education and Experience
• BS in Engineering or equivalent and combination of work experience and education (8 years experience in telecommunications, network operations or similar discipline with background education in Engineering)
• Five years applicable network operations and engineering experience
• Three-five years professional experience working in the operations and maintenance of multi-vendor, multi-protocol networks
• Active Secret DoD Clearance is Highly desired. All individuals must pass a security pre-screen to ensure eligibility for attaining a clearance if required. This position is contingent on being able to obtain/hold a security clearance.
The starting salary for this role differs based on the employee's primary work location. Employees typically do not start at the top of the range, though compensation depends on each individual's qualifications.
Location Based Pay Ranges
$80510 - $100635 in these states: AR, ID, KY, LA, ME, MS, NE, SC, and SD.
$84740 - $105923 in these states: AZ, AL, FL, GA, IN, IA, KS, MO, MT, NM, ND, OH, OK, PA, TN, UT, VT, WV, WI, and WY.
$88980 - $111218 in these states: CO, HI, MI, MN, NV, NH, NC, OR, and RI.
$93210 - $116513 in these states: AK, CA, CT, DE, DC, IL, MD, MA, NJ, NY, TX, VA, and WA.
As with the pay range variety that's based on the region of a country, specific offers are determined by various factors such as experience, education, skills, certifications and other business needs.
What to Expect Next
Requisition #: 331662
When applying for a position, you may be subject to a background screen (criminal records check, motor vehicle report, and/or drug screen), depending on the requirements for the position. More information on what’s included in these checks can be found in the Post Offer section of our FAQ page (https://jobs.lumen.com/global/en/faq) . Job-related concerns noted in the background screen may disqualify you from the new position or your current role. Background results will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
This position is part of a bargaining unit and represented by a union. Depending upon the applicable collective bargaining agreement under which you may be hired, you may be: (a) required to join the union and pay union dues as a condition of employment; or, (b) required to pay union dues, but not join the union as a condition of employment; or (c) free to chose whether or not to join the union, but if you do join the union you would be obligated to pay union dues.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, creed, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, "protected statuses"). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
NOTE: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Salary Min :
Salary Max :
This information reflects the anticipated base salary range for this position based on current national data. Minimums and maximums may vary based on location. Individual pay is based on skills, experience and other relevant factors.
This position is eligible for either short-term incentives or sales compensation. Director and VP positions also are eligible for long-term incentive. To learn more about our bonus structure, you can view additional information here. (https://jobs.lumen.com/global/en/compensation-information) We're able to answer any additional questions you may have as you move through the selection process.
As part of our comprehensive benefits package, Lumen offers a broad range of Health, Life, Voluntary Lifestyle and other benefits and perks that enhance your physical, mental, emotional and financial wellbeing. You can learn more by clicking here. (https://centurylinkbenefits.com)
Note: For union-represented postings, wage rates and ranges are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreement provisions.
- Lumen Jobs