VMware Staff Software Engineer - Supply Chain Tools - Opportunity for Working Remotely in Des Moines, Iowa
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
The broader Tanzu portfolio within the Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU) has a mission to help customers build, run, and manage their most important applications. We build applications to run in a cloud-native environment, run open-source Kubernetes with consistency, and manage our customers' entire footprint with confidence to help them achieve their business outcomes.
The Supply Chain Tools Program is focussed on securing all parts of the development process from source code, to running applications in production. We plan to accomplish this by building tooling that can be seamlessly integrated into the entire suite of Tanzu portfolio products. We are bringing a new product to the market and are looking for engineers with strong technical leadership and the ability to adapt to changes in a new domain.
You might like working with us if you:
● Like working as a part of an empowered balanced team.
● Believe in Outcomes over Output.
● Prioritize equitable treatment, inclusivity, and diversity.
● Work with empathy and kindness.
● Believe in doing the right thing, and doing what works.
To learn more about Tanzu watch this video. #TeamTanzu
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
● You have become immersed in the team’s day to day operations, you are advising junior engineers on how to advance technical workstreams.
● You have become familiar with the team’s technical domain and have begun using that knowledge to advise and influence cross-team collaborations.
● You have reviewed the team’s code base and have started a process of code reviews
● You have reviewed and influenced the team’s architecture/design artifacts and decisions
● You will lead the team in packaging the tools they built for production
● You will lead the team in troubleshooting and mitigating high severity issues in production.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
In this role, you will become a technical subject matter expert for a Supply Chain Tools engineering team, you will...
● Advise and set the team’s technical direction through the exploration and implementation of new product tools that will enhance the security of enterprise customer applications.
● You will bring innovative ideas to complex technical solutions and write code using Golang and declarative programming with Kubernetes Controllers/CRDs.
● Create and own the team’s technical design documentation and architectural decisions, represent them to the larger program in design reviews.
● Provide technical guidance as we solicit product feedback from customers. Ensure what we're building meets the expectations of reliability, scaling, and security.
● You have the ability to work with Open Source Software communities (e.g. CNCF, Sigstore).
● Mentor team members at different stages in their technical career. Support the team in breaking down complex stories into development tasks. Conduct code reviews, lead technical context sharing discussions.
● Evaluate and drive tool usage, metrics and frameworks to improve quality and efficiency. Introduce/support process improvements.
● Collaborate with management, other engineers on the team and across the Tanzu Portfolio to achieve planned targets. You will additionally work with other functions such as program management, quality and site reliability engineers to improve the product.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring managers for this role are Dana Taylor and Der Wei Chan, Engineering Managers for the Supply Chain Tools Program. Dana has worked in MAPBU since January 2021. Prior to VMware, she was a Program Manager and Engineering Manager at IBM. Der has worked in MAPBU since December 2019. Prior to VMware, he was an Engineer with Pivotal Software.
We work as a distributed team with colleagues in Canada, the United States and Colombia. Each team has on average six Engineers, a Product Manager and an Engineering Manager. We value collaboration and start our days with daily stand ups where decisions are made to pair or work solo. We follow agile practices and often deliver features in two week sprints. It is also important to us to make time to check in on the team’s overall well-being, this is done by having regular 1:1s with your engineering manager and quarterly team health checks.
The Supply Chain Tools program is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are a learning organization and believe that diverse teams are stronger and more effective at solving the complex problems we make simple for our customers. Empathy, diverse points of view, approaches, and skill sets bring us to the best solution faster, together.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
● Employee Stock Purchase Plan
● Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
● Generous Time Off Programs and a focus on work-life balance.
● 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
● Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning
or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
● Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation,
training, course work, etc.)
● Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-07-20
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
- VMware Jobs