UnityPoint Health Patient Registration Clerk in Fort Dodge, Iowa
Patient Registration Clerk
FTE: .3 (Part-time, 12 hours per week)
Shift: Monday-Friday 3pm-11pm with every 3rd weekend rotation
Why UnityPoint Health?
Commitment to our Team – We’ve been named a Top 150 Place to Work in Healthcare 2022 by Becker’s Healthcare for our commitment to our team members.
Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you matter. Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Serves as Registrar for department and completes clerical tasks under the supervision of the Registration Manager/Supervisor.
· Greets and escorts new patients and guests while demonstrating positive customer service skills.
· Answers telephone calls and makes calls for patients and guests.
· Maintains and orders supplies.
· Completes registration interviews with patients including insurance verification
· Assists with account corrections to ensure accurate registration and billing.
· Utilizes Point of Service calculator to obtain patient’s estimated liability.
· Performs Point of Service Collections by requesting estimated liabilities, copays, and deposits.
· Processes and posts patient payments on accounts after collecting cash, check or credit card payment. Provides patient with receipt and reconciles cash drawer at end of day.
· Prepares patient charts including labels, wristbands, information flexes and other forms/documents used by patient care team.
· Explains and has patients sign treatment consents and required billing documents.
· Handles a wide variety of clerical work.
· Calls and/or faxes for insurance pre-certification and authorization for inpatient and outpatient services, when needed.
· Maintains documents and forms related to registered and admitted patients.
· Handles all patients with sensitivity and efficiency.
· Communicates heavily with other departments, patients, nursing and other medical staff to ensure quality coordination of patient care.
· Supports and contributes to department goals by attending department meetings and participating in performance improvement activities.
· Attend hospital-wide informational sessions.
· Assists with or trains new employees.
· Maintains knowledge of registration responsibilities associated with the external disaster plan and system downtime.
· Complies with and remains knowledgeable of government payor guidelines and policies i.e. Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare and Veterans Administration.
· Maintains effective communication/working relationships with co-workers, management and members of the healthcare team.
· Obtains and transcribes orders for patients.
· Other clerical duties as assigned.
· Adheres to all hospital policies and procedures.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School Graduate.
Previous customer service experience
Data entry and typing. Hospital experience or business training helpful.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Ability to exercise good judgment, maintain good interpersonal relationships and adapt to change. Ability to spell correctly, write or print legibly, speak clearly, use correct grammar. Ability to organize and prioritize work. Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to interact appropriately and perform clerical services for infant, child, adult, and geriatric patients. Must use own initiative to complete duties.
Office equipment, paper supplies, occasional handling of patient care supplies and specimens.
Occasional use of gloves and masks.
Requisition ID: 2022-111696
Street: 802 Kenyon Rd
Name: 7020 UnityPoint Health Trinity Regional Medical Ctr
Name: Patient Access
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .30
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org