UnityPoint Health Billing Specialist in West Des Moines, Iowa
WDSM Lakeview Medical Park
Monday-Thursday 7:00-4:30, Friday 7:00-1:00
Full Time + Benefits
Why UnityPoint Health?
Commitment to our Team – We’ve been named a Top 150 Place to Work in Healthcare 2022 by Becker’s Healthcare for our commitment to our team members.
Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you matter. Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
The Billing Specialist will monitor daily billing activity and productivity and will also serve as the primary resource to staff and patients for questions related to billing.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Communicate status of clinic billing responsibilities to the Clinic Administrator on a regular basis.
· Provide support and training to new employees in the functions related to billing.
· Monitor daily billing activity/productivity (i.e., timeliness of posting of charges/payments, collection of co-payments, etc.).
· Share responsibility through timely communication of identified problems to assure proper follow-up is completed and ensure proper payment.
· Work accounts in assigned queues in accordance with the department protocols.
· Maintain daily reconciliation/balancing documents per protocol.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Be aware of what is happening in clinic/department and the organization by attending clinic/department meetings, reading emails and regularly checking information on the organization’s intranet site.
· Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
· Maintain compliance with CLIA, OSHA, Safety and Risk Management guidelines.
· Maintain compliance with Personnel policies and procedures.
· Monitor environmental conditions in order to secure protected health information.
· Behave in a manner consistent with all Corporate Compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures.
· Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· High School or Vocational School graduate.
· Three years of medical business office experience and accounts receivable management.
· Previous experience coding diagnoses and procedures with ICD-9-CM and CPT.
· Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology.
· Previous experience with filing of medical insurance claims.
· Knowledge of medical billing and collection practices.
· Knowledge of governmental legal and regulatory provisions related to collection activities.
· Previous experience with electronic billing preferred.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Strong computer skills.
· Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
· Ability to work as a team member.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2022-120126
Street: 6000 University Ave
Name: 9200 UnityPoint Clinic Affiliate
Name: Counseling and Psych- Lakeview
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 7-4:30 pm Monday-Thursday 7-1 Fridays
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org