Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company SOFTWARE ENGINEER in West Des Moines, Iowa
We’re looking for a top-notch Software Engineer who pays attention to detail and cares about impeccable code. If you see minor obstacles as an enjoyable challenge rather than a hardship and if you are like to see a to see a project come to fruition in a team environment, get in touch with us today!
Responsible for engineering software and/or complex integrations of existing software using current technologies such as Java to support the business objectives of Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company and their customers. Serves as a member of a cross functional Agile Software Development Team, completing any/all tasks to ensure team success.
This position can be performed in our Grinnell; or in a remote, home office based in one of the following states: Arizona, Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Florida, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas and Wisconsin. Please note that candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Grinnell Mutual sponsorship.
• Develops new software utilizing techniques such as Object-Oriented Programming, Test Driven Development, Service Oriented Architecture, code reviews and modularity for hosting on-premises and in the cloud.
• Demonstrates proficiency in software development tools, programming languages and software development techniques that adhere to the best practices specific to Grinnell Mutual.
• Maintains and promotes a security driven mindset, ensuring software meets the criteria of the Grinnell Mutual Security Team. This includes adherence to OWASP and applicable regulations.
• Remains current with changes in technology and evaluates the feasibility of incorporating development techniques into new and supported applications.
• Collaborates with third party vendors and Grinnell Mutual technology professionals, including Architecture, Infrastructure and Operations, to ensure technologies used are relevant to the current and future state of software engineering.
• Leverages automation and DevOps techniques to reduce overall technical maintenance, monitor system performance, improve system quality and reduce manual business process of Grinnell Mutual.
• Provides support as needed when software outage incidents occur, restoring service in the quickest and most stable manner possible. Knowledge of ITIL methodology is preferred.
• Contributes to product planning using Agile methodologies. Ensures stories are complete, accurate and ready to be developed before the team commits to them.
• Collaborates and takes ownership of team delivery to ensure highest probability of success for team.
• Adheres to work intake, prioritization, change management, architecture governance and other required best practices of Grinnell Mutual.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
• Bachelors’ degree from an accredited college/university in programming related field with significant course work and/or experience in design, development and analysis of technology solutions.
• Experience with Java, Angular JS, React, Guidewire preferred.
• Exhibits strong problem solving and critical thinking skills. Exhibits a continuous improvement mindset towards all duties.
• Contributes to the growth of technology at Grinnell Mutual by sharing expertise with others. Educates others, adding to the total technical capabilities of Grinnell Mutual.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively plan, schedule and meet deadlines while concurrently managing multiple tasks. Must be able to work with multiple interruptions.
• Working knowledge of Property and Casualty Insurance preferred. Willingness to develop a working knowledge of industry and Grinnell Mutual specific business practices. Must be able to appropriately apply learned knowledge as it relates to responsibilities of the position.
• Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as, probability and statistical inference and applying concepts such as, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations as required for programming to simplify work of end user.
• Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract/concrete variables.
• Recognizes processing/application inefficiencies and recommends improvements.
• Demonstrated enthusiasm and commitment towards assignment and problem solving.
• Demonstrated oral, written, and presentation skills to both technical and non-technical personnel. Exhibits self-assurance and a creative aptitude.
• Ability to work in a harmonious manner with co-employees, agents, vendors, and supervisor.
• Ability to understand basic insurance terminology applicable to personal lines and commercial lines of insurance.
• Ability to work with limited supervision.
• Ability to keep regular work schedule and maintain regular, predictable attendance.
• Ability to represent Grinnell Mutual at selected professional conference approximate 1-2 times per year. May include overnight stays and travel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each job duty and responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform job duties and responsibilities.
• May be required to work overtime to meet strict deadlines associated with assigned projects resulting in various levels of stress.
• During times of conversion or system implementation the Software Engineer may be required work weekends or non-typical work hours to support technical issues, deploy artifacts or test software.
• The position can be a work from home position or physically located in a Grinnell Mutual location with a work environment of a typical office setting; noise level is relatively quiet and occasional stress is encountered as deadlines approach. The position requires an individual to sit for long periods of time.
This job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned, but rather to give the employee a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of the business demands change, so too may the job duties and responsibilities.
External Company URL: https://grinnellmutual.com